Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: dear RIA: rate my research paper!  (Read 797 times)

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
dear RIA: rate my research paper!
« on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:35 pm »
rate:
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

Offline Sir Gerald Goldberg

• Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 10:15:47 pm »
F 10%

Offline John Fire

• Cactus
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 10:57:01 pm »
I was a little confused as to what type of expository essay this was. The thesis made it look like it was going to be an example essay. The body made it appear to be a defining essay. The conclusion made it appear as though the paper should have been a persuasive essay.

The first body paragraph does not seen to support the thesis, yes it defines gifted, but it does not prove how being gifted makes life harder.

The second body paragraph has a similar issue. It does almost nothing to prove the thesis, I would stamp it as irrelevant.

The third body paragraph is fine if this is an essay to define giftedness, but it really provides minimal support for the thesis. It shows the traits of different groups of the gifted, but does not explain how being gifted is makes life harder when one reads the information (only 10% are not "successful").

The fourth paragraph also appears to be irrelevant in regards to the thesis. It shows that programs are offered to help the gifted despite dissenters.

Overall the essay was confusing. According to the thesis the point was to prove how life was harder for gifted people. However you spent too much space defining gifted and concluded with an argument that still begs the question.

My suggestions:
1. Focus. Is the purpose of your essay to define "Giftedness" or prove how life is harder for the gifted?
2. If the purpose is to define giftedness, rewrite the thesis. If the purpose is your current thesis, then rewrite the body (the entire thing).
3. Rewrite your entire conclusion, this is not an argumentative essay. You are not trying to argue for the government to act on the situation of giftedness. You also have in no way proven that giftedness is a disorder.

If I turned this paper in to my teacher I would expect a D with the possibility of an F.

At this point I must ask what grade level this paper was meant for? I am rating it according to my grade level.

I hope I wasn't too harsh
Hope you don't mind.

Offline Grand Poobah Marx

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 5.89" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: North Place
  • Ruler: Grand Poobah Marx
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 11:08:30 pm »
You need to scrap your thesis.  I only read the first bit, but you only explain about what being gifted is, never connected to your thesis.  So you're fucked if it's a persuasive paper.  CONNECT TO YOUR THESIS.

edit: John Fire speaks the truth.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 11:09:19 pm by Grand Poobah Marx »
Master Raider

[span style="color:#48D1CC"]cave laborem[/span]

Quote from: llamavore
I say listen to the gay jew.

Offline Mr_Cynic

• RIAer
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Veteran of the Grudge War (TOP/NpO) Three years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry RIAer has built a Weapons Research Complex
  • war boner is 2.87" long.
  • has 70 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: Mostly
  • Ruler: MrCynic
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 09:56:49 am »
So close to having Crunka's full name...
Quote from: Crunka
I like cats too. Let's exchange recipes.
Quote from: Flask
SPITE THE ROCK!
Quote from: Elijah S Konderwink
....I fucking hate you.
<Moldavi> lol

Offline Grand Poobah Marx

• RItiree - burritos
  • Funktuar
  • Awards Veteran of the Pandora's Box-NpO War Veteran of the of the Bipolar War Three years of Random Insanity Has been Head of Economics Has been Head of Recruitment Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity Veteran of the War of the Coalition Veteran of the Unjust War Veteran of the Karma War Veteran of the Illuminati War RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative RIAer is armed with nuclear weaponry Has donated money for the RIA RIAer has been hit with nuclear weapons in defense of RIA Has recruited a member into the RIA
  • war boner is 5.89" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
  • Nation: North Place
  • Ruler: Grand Poobah Marx
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 11:02:46 am »
SO close, it was on there..
Master Raider

[span style="color:#48D1CC"]cave laborem[/span]

Quote from: llamavore
I say listen to the gay jew.

Offline Crunka

• RItiree - burritos
  • RIctuar
  • Awards Those who came over in the original wave Three years of Random Insanity Two Years of Random Insanity One year of Random Insanity RIAer has built a Strategic Defense Initiative
  • war boner is 4.32" long.
  • has 5 llamas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/thecolourofmusic
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »
Quote from: John Fire
I was a little confused as to what type of expository essay this was. The thesis made it look like it was going to be an example essay. The body made it appear to be a defining essay. The conclusion made it appear as though the paper should have been a persuasive essay.

The first body paragraph does not seen to support the thesis, yes it defines gifted, but it does not prove how being gifted makes life harder.

The second body paragraph has a similar issue. It does almost nothing to prove the thesis, I would stamp it as irrelevant.

The third body paragraph is fine if this is an essay to define giftedness, but it really provides minimal support for the thesis. It shows the traits of different groups of the gifted, but does not explain how being gifted is makes life harder when one reads the information (only 10% are not "successful").

The fourth paragraph also appears to be irrelevant in regards to the thesis. It shows that programs are offered to help the gifted despite dissenters.

Overall the essay was confusing. According to the thesis the point was to prove how life was harder for gifted people. However you spent too much space defining gifted and concluded with an argument that still begs the question.

My suggestions:
1. Focus. Is the purpose of your essay to define "Giftedness" or prove how life is harder for the gifted?
2. If the purpose is to define giftedness, rewrite the thesis. If the purpose is your current thesis, then rewrite the body (the entire thing).
3. Rewrite your entire conclusion, this is not an argumentative essay. You are not trying to argue for the government to act on the situation of giftedness. You also have in no way proven that giftedness is a disorder.

If I turned this paper in to my teacher I would expect a D with the possibility of an F.

At this point I must ask what grade level this paper was meant for? I am rating it according to my grade level.

I hope I wasn't too harsh

i know my thesis was shit and i didn't support it in any of my paragraphs. the main point of this essay was to explain the term gifted children (for me, that is).

my teacher is stupid, she wants a thesis similar to mine, yet, she wants this to be a research paper, not an argumentative essay. i really found it illogical for my thesis to be what it says there, although if it helps my grade i'll do it. thanks for your pointers, i do indeed want to change the thesis statement but i'll just have to wait after she corrects it (this is a rough draft)

nevertheless, did you guys learn anything from this paper?

also this paper is for my junior year in HS
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:09:41 pm by Crunka »
"it's better to live one day as a lion[/size] than a thousand years as a lamb"
[/i]

check out my flickr!
check out my band: The Color of Music
check out my cock

* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Gangs Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Imagine still posting on RIA to talk to old clowns.  Author: C-zom Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Brian Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* I don't know if I should start a new topic  Author: Muji111 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Leo Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: im317 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Crazyman93 Forum: Random lnsanity
* Re: This place still exists  Author: Fake from State Jarm Forum: Random lnsanity

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 36 queries.
Triumvirate:
Shadow

Head of Foreign Affairs:
Brian

Head of Internal Affairs:
Croix

Head of Military Operations:
im317